Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Alabama Build-Vention 2016 Highlights

The Ultimate Black Belt Test requires that I support the annual martial arts "anti-convention" Alabama Build-Vention. I do this gladly. I would attend and support the event even if I wasn't a test candidate.

What is it? An annual charity build event in rural Alabama started by UBBT founder Tom Callos. The event brings martial artists from all over the US and Canada to Greensboro, a small town on Hwy 69 just south of Tuscaloosa. So what's so special about this town? Pam Dorr, and her program HERO Housing. Take a look at the link if you're interested in learning what HERO does for the community there. It's extraordinary.


This was the 12th year of the project. I attended last year for the first time alone, this year I was joined by my student, JD. He's one of my first black belts and I was looking forward to this experience coming back with not only me but a senior student that influences the culture of the studio. He had no idea what he was in for! I explained the event but this is the kind of thing you have to experience to fully understand. He was there to support me, in my work and in my test. I couldn't have asked for more. The discussions we've had during and since are going to make an impact far into the future of Champion Taekwondo.

I took many pages of notes during the talks. Processing those along with thinking about the observations and experiences now that I'm home continue to inspire plans for my future. 

A few of the highlights:

Meeting and talking with Ali Fuller, founder of Level Ground Mixed Martial Arts in Boston. Her program and the way the thinks and talks about martial arts to enrich the lives of young people is revolutionary. She is and example of grit and perseverance on and off the mat.

Getting to hug Cathy Chapaty. We have been virtual friends for a few years now and have shared deeply with each other, but had never physically met. That was a good hug. Being able to talk and work with her was a gift. We have future work to do together which hasn't been revealed, but I know it's going to be good. Soul work. Kindred spirit work.

Reconnecting with the people I met last year was wonderful. It was visiting my tribe.

Being around and soaking in the lessons from one of my teaching heroes, Tom Callos. He is the reason I'm doing this crazy program in the first place. He talks about practicing and teaching the martial arts like nobody else. The language that he uses and the multitude of ideas he gives freely can change the way you think about your work. It certainly has for me.

My biggest take away was watching the young people. Their level of engagement was astounding. It was clear that this was not by accident, it was coming from their time spent in martial arts and the influence of the mentors in their lives. I teach all ages, but really my job is working with young people. I don't think I fully understood the power of that role. This clarity was a thought shift for me, and I know the impact on my program will be huge.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment