Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Diet NOT on point: UBBT and my M & M problem.



A few weeks ago I was tired and in a moment of weakness I bought a bag of M&Ms. This morning I'm up 10lbs on the scale. This is how it goes with me. Historically. I do really well with food choices. I eat pretty healthy overall. Then I give myself permission for a "treat" usually because I'm tired, stressed or sad. Feeling sorry for myself. Every single time, my self discipline goes right out the window. I think, " It's okay because I'm exercising more." I tell myself lies like, "This won't really affect my goals." Or most of the time I don't talk to myself at all. I just ignore it because I'm ashamed. I'm just feeding an emotion. Applying a salve to feeling worn out. I know that it doesn't help. I know the consequences, I'm in it right now and it is all too familiar. I know I'm not alone in this struggle! Food is medicine. Medicine can heal and it can also harm when used improperly. It's a slippery slope. So, I can sit here...or I can dust myself off and climb again. At least I know what trips me and sends me sliding.

3 comments:

  1. I've battled this time and time again. First, it is not a failure, it is a setback. Second, when we are tired, stressed, or sad, our bodies crave sugar. It is biological. Third, there is the element of making food punishment or reward. This is where I have the most trouble. We are all ingrained with messages "be good and you can have dessert, celebrations (birthdays, etc) are always with cake! Food should be sustenance, but is also pleasurable. So if you are sad, depressed, or frustrated know that you have a CHOICE to eat M & M's or a piece of fruit or whatever else your body is telling you it needs. I know that I tend to be perfectionistic about it - the dieters plague "I blew it anyway, so now I have to eat it all to destroy the evidence - I'll start again tomorrow" This is the failure for me. A better choice would be to have a few M&M's, eat them mindfully, enjoy them, and allow myself to feel rewarded, not like a failure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For YEARS, I struggled with this same thing. Whenever I dropped a few pounds, I felt it was ok to "reward" myself with a treat. This, of course, negated everything I worked for. I have found that not only does tracking my food intake help, but having someone that holds me accountable (with workouts and weekly weigh-ins) helped establish the habit in the beginning. Now, 3 months later, it is much easier for me to bypass the sweets/high fat foods/alcohol because I know where I have been, have a clear idea of where I want to be, and I don't want to get harrassed by my accountability buddy!

    ReplyDelete